Benson, Alan-

Starting a new project is not aggression; it's how we try things that
should fail independently. I have no interest in participating, but if
you believe that we should e.g., have a small, active, junior-varsity
board responsible only for overseeing and guiding new projects: write
a proposal, convince people it's a good idea, and (if accepted) see
how it works in practice.

These interminable discussions are simulacra of work, empty of
practical consequence. Even if consensus were achieved, there is no
measurable benefit. Mentors MUST be DEDICATED (sec 3.1, 3.2, 5.4g) to
the project, EXCEPT when they're not, because WORK (sec 2.3b) and LIFE
(sec 2.3c) may interfere up to three (3) times per (Earth) lunar cycle
and this one time a SQUIRREL took out the power to my neighborhood and
I couldn't sign off on a REPORT. Whatever.

If you're on the IPMC, you (a) orient projects in Apache, so they can
find resources (b) run through a curriculum to give them a sense of
the foundation's expectations (c) let them figure out the rest
themselves. Around the necessity to perform some audit before the
project can release software from the ASF, there has grown a sincere,
but misguided idea that most projects' dysfunction can always be
traced to early, correctable errors. Even if it were true- and it
isn't- it doesn't justify the bureaucracy that keeps getting layered
over this first stage of a journey that's far more difficult and
interesting when lived, rather than documented. If one accepts that
even "mature" projects need (and have) monitoring, the leap to
removing the IPMC altogether is... more of a hop. Prove this wrong; it
would be genuinely instructive.

Nobody suspects either of you of trying to subvert anything. I'd go
further: nobody cares. An effective IPMC member is as relevant as a
receptionist behind an information desk: useful to all, essential for
newcomers, and forgotten by the time you reach the stairs. You have
ideas for tracking people who sit at information desks, or possible
training programs/documentation that would make the building easier to
navigate. If that's your thing: go for it, let us know if you find
anything interesting. But stop meeting where we're trying to work. The
majority of the IPMC is here to help particular projects join the
foundation, and this annual ritual is disruptive to that goal. -C