On Saturday, January 24, 2015, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
ross.gard...@microsoft.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','ross.gard...@microsoft.com');>> wrote:

> No, the PMC is *not* the driving force. The project community is, even
> where the PMC is a subset of the committers. Since it is the set of active
> *contributors* that are important, they are the ones doing the work.

I totally agree, but pTLC calls for a PMC that can be 0% subset of the
community, how can the PMC in this situation reflect the community?

Remember we talk rules here, and rules should be made so the reflect what
we want, and I believe it is important that the community is represented in
the PMC, not 100% but also not 0%.

> I don't understand your argument about releases. Nothing changes under
> under the pTLP proposal with respect to how a release is made. In any ASF
> project the full community votes for a release if they want to. Only the
> PMC have binding votes, but they should listen to the community in casting
> those votes (same is true for podlings where the podling community votes on
> a release but it needs to be formalized by the IPMC via its mentors).

I read the rules instead of believing in "should". If a PMC does not like a
technical direction, they can block it totally within the rules, even if
all non-PMC prefers it.

I think my problem is that I agree with both you and Roman, The PMC should
leave technical matters including releases to the total community. But
alone by talking about "binding" and "non-binding" votes creates two
levels, and if the PMC does not include the incoming community the
disconnect gets bigger.

 With pTLC I fear that the incoming community will feel empowered,  the
community does not (according to the rules) need to vote, just let the ASF
members do the work. With PPMC the podling must make a vote otherwise a
release will never happen.

Again please remember I read the suggested rules and see what could go
wrong, in a perfect world we would not have wars and every project would
function perfect.

 jan i