You are approaching this question with complete trust and faith in the
Apache process, being an Apache member, but an incoming / foreign community
will not have this, not universally. Take the emotion out of this, because
I certainly am not being emotional here, but instead trying to evaluate
this change from the perspective of an outsider. I assume the objective is
to be and remain an inviting place for building community and code,
attracting new blood.

I think everyone can accept an organization has a Board with a final say.
What I find attractive about the current incubation model is Apache
welcomes new communities by making them voting stakeholders in their new
project, they become a PPMC, a podling. Sure, the IPMC provides oversight,
and the board again, but the PPMC can make binding votes on committers,
releases, everything that matters - provisionally, of course, which is
completely acceptable. This all changes if the PMC does not include any
members of the incoming community. There isn't even a provisional ownership
stake in the endeavor. When Apache grants the incoming community a
provisional binding stake in the process, this establishes trust.

I don't agree that the chances ASF PMC members of pTLP will start actively
overriding votes is slim to none.  I've been around here for a while and
spent some time in Hadoop land. The process is not infallable. The
membership is not infallable. To ensure the probability of better outcomes
no matter what happens during an incubation, the incoming community should
be treated more like partners in a common endeavor with a full stake in the
process than what is proposed here.

​
The incoming community is disempowered and has no recourse but to go along
with the outcome of Apache politics or abandon the project.

How is this not true? What can the incoming community make a binding vote
on, under this proposal?