On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org> wrote:
> Am 12.03.2015 17:21, schrieb Ted Dunning:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
>> <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>    * several writers of documentation (without committer privileges)
>>>    * one or two creators of graphics (icons, or whatever, without
>>> committer privileges)
>>>    * one or more organizations providing hosting services, and the like
>>

>> This is a good list.  But I take strong issue with the "without committer
>> privileges" part.
>>
>> If somebody is contributing, make them committers.  Expect them to be
>> responsible about what they commit and follow whatever process there is.
>

> If talk about say 10 commits within 3 months, sure. Just does not happen for
> 90% of the contributors. Many work on a project at their workplace and once
> the problem the have faced is solved they walk away again.

That's why we have to be clear that we're inviting them to be active
participants
on the project, not simply recognizing their past merit.

In fact, I would argue that a change (or at least a clarification) of Groovy
governance model may in fact rekindle commitment in folks who in the past
were simply drive-by contributors on github.

This is exactly what fostering a vibrant community is all about.

In short:
   * blocking proposal on the # of initial committers -- no, or at
least I don't think so.
   * killing ourselves over reaching every single contributor on GH -- no.
   * doing a reasonable due diligence *while incubating* on reaching out
     to past contributors and having a conversations with them (IF they
     are interested!) -- ABSOLUTELY!

Thanks,
Roman.