> On 13 Apr 2015, at 06:39, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think it is common to take a quick look at code coming in.  In
> particular, a glance to see whether there is any hygiene around licensing
> is an important question.  Many projects in the world at large have no good
> record of who write the code but still imagine that they can change the
> licensing.  Such projects are not suitable for Apache incubation since
> without a clean rewrite, they are not possible to Apache license.
>
> Commercially developed code rarely has that sort of problem, but there may
> be other problems that a quick perusal would turn up or eliminate.

I believe one reason the openjdk GUI rendering is worse than the oracle one is,
apparently, that there's a  chunk of OSF/Motif code in there whose provenance
isn't clear, until it was released as LGPL, was closed source. That is: code
sharing by cut-and-paste is always trouble

looking at the list of committers -it looks like a whole organisation is going
to move to doing OSS dev. That's a pretty big move.

1. The withdrawal of support for Groovy shows that pivotal have been ruthless
in the past about where to invest their OSS dev. It's a bit dangerous to list
Groovy as a reference for pivotal's OSS experience. It shows they've done it,
but it shows that the commitment is not indefinite funding (to be fair, no
single org can guarantee that). Spring is the one to really emphasis.

2. It will make it more of a barrier to getting other developers in; it'll take
active effort to bring them in, especially a transition to a process of
decision making over the lists, rather than in meetings. Again, a perennial
problem that we all encounter -not an argument against the proposal, just
something that will take active effort.

I don't see it leaving incubation with more non-pivotal dev/contrib than the
pivotal team, just because of the numbers. The mentors/vote will have to
consider how many external developers constitutes "enough" to be an active,
open dev community. Again, a permanent problem (*), it just means here that it
will be very skewed towards pivotal. I think that open-source discussion and
decision making should be a key metric here, rather than just looking at
numbers.

otherwise: impressive proposal!

-Steve

(*) as a reminder, we in the slider-incubating project are hiring -along with
every other incubated project.