On 26.07.2015 10:56, jan i wrote:
> On 26 July 2015 at 10:40, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> About 40% of the last 100 threads on general@ is "vote release"... Cut
>> that
>>> away is a good start in reforming the Incubator…
>> IMO Which provides a valuable service in showing poddlings on how to make
>> good releases. Do we want to get rid of that?
>>
> No that is an important service, on the other hand I also agree that the
> mentors should be guiding/running the podlings not general@
>
> Maybe we can find some middle ground.
> - Mentors "run" the podlings, can accept releases etc.
> - Mentors decide when a podlng can graduate (maybe with some form of, needs
> to accepted by all mentors of the project)
> - Any release must be announced (not voted) on general@, so that people
> like you have a chance of controlling it just like today.
>
> I think this would make incubator a lot more efficient, reduce our inboxes,
> and give us spare time to concentrate on other things.

I like this proposal very much. One of the constant frustrations in the
podlings I'd mentored was the delay between release bits being ready and
the IPMC getting around to vote. It's now a lot better than it was a
couple years ago, when in some instances it took a month or more ...

Concretely: I think it's perfectly OK to review podling releases after
the fact. The incubation disclaimer tells users clearly enough that they
should be extra careful when using releases from incubating projects.

The other frustration is of course evident in the Ignite graduation
discussion.

The only downside of this proposal is that it assumes that every podling
has at least three active (!) mentors. That doesn't always happen; and
currently we expect the podling to chase down inactive mentors or find
new ones. If we adopt Jan's proposal, I'd expect the IPMC to take a more
active role in finding mentors for podlings.

Other than that, big +1.

-- Brane