On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 2:50 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> ...is Apache Brand meant to protect *any* possible object/binary
>> artifact or only those that PMC actually care about?...
>
> IMO any object/binary created from our source code has to be clearly
> identified as not coming from the ASF.

Well, the real question is: do we aspire to have a monopoly on certain
binary convenience artifacts? IOW, if a Hadoop PMC blessed and RPM
as one of those artifacts, does it mean that only that RPM (however
potentially screwed up it is from the standpoint of Fedora packaging
guidelines) is the RPM that can be called Hadoop?

> If Kermit distributes a compiled version of httpd for example I would
> expect that to be labeled as "Kermit's distribution of the Apache HTTP
> Server".
>
> And if that's done properly I would expect filenames to reflect this
> where possible, so Kermit's binary package should be named like
> "kermit-httpd-2.4.16.tgz" to help prevent confusion.

Well, this is not what's happening: http://pkgs.org/search/httpd

Thanks,
Roman.