On 8/16/15 9:05 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The downstream shouldn't be calling their artifacts Hadoop if they aren't
>>> the Hadoop PMC in any case.
>>
>> But they do. And not just hadoop -- go do searches on pkgs.org and see
>> for yourself.
>>
>> Now that takeaway from this thread for me so far is this: in order for the
>> trademark enforcement to be invoked there has to be a legitimate concern
>> from the PMC. The foundation is not in a business of blatant brand policing
>> (otherwise quite a few C&D should've been sent already to various Linux
>> distros).
>>

> It is the PMC's reponsibility to police their brand. [1] Some projects
> police it very loosely, others much more rigidly. If a project were to
> wish to go the Mozilla route, I am sure they could.  The foundation
> provides projects with nice, generic scaffolding that gives some
> flexibility, but generally just works. The foundation itself rarely
> engages in trademark policing without the PMC requesting help.

That being said, let's be clear since we're on a publicly archived list
here: The ASF owns all Apache trademarks on behalf of our projects.  We
certainly hope - and often only have the volunteer energy for - having
the PMCs take the lead in reporting and attempting to police misuse of
their project's marks.  But if a PMC is truly falling down on the job -
or if a PMC is unfairly allowing one/some companies to take advantage of
their project brand - the ASF can and will enforce our polices at the
Foundation level.

This really is a rare case, but we do need to be clear from the policy
side.  I'm not particularly concerned about less-active projects that
might just let things slide (or not be aware of) or slide into
obscurity.  I am concerned that some PMCs might not take policing
seriously enough when it comes to vendors specifically pushing the
boundaries in ways that harm our Apache wide reputation for project
independence:
  https://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

- Shane