So there is - to my mind - the obvious stuff:

1. The package description should ACK our marks. End of Story there.
2. The package description should call out those cases where there are
significant deviations from the "official" distributions. Significant
deviations will be determined by the individual PMCs as they know what is
significant and what is not.

That leaves the technical package name.

Is using our mark in the technical package name (which cannot have space to
ACK the mark, but assuming there is an ACK of the mark in the description)
an issue?

So if we have:

package-name: foo
  Apache Foo is a framework for doing bar.
  Apache, Apache Foo and Foo are trademarks of the Apache Software
Foundation.

is the Manchu packaging of Foo ok to use foo as the package name?

It would seem to be a disservice to users to force Manchu to pick a
different name for Foo (i.e. the firefox vs iceweasel issue)

On the other hand, packaging up Apache Foo for the Manchu installer
framework may require significant patching of Apache Foo such that it is
necessary to declare that it is *based on Apache Foo*

Compare and contrast with homebrew's packaging of Apache Maven where they
just download the convenience binary published by the Apache Maven team...
that seems reasonable to be called `maven` because it is actually
installing exactly what the Apache Maven team released without
modifications.

Shane, do you need further clarifications?