On Wed, Nov 4, 2015, at 08:26 PM, Lenni Kuff wrote:
> I think there is some confusion here. The Sentry project has never
> considered Committer == PMC. The recent website change was only to help
> clarify the roles of each of the members of the project, it was not the
> result of any decision being made.

So... the discussion that prompted this was in March 2014, but the fix
didn't make it to the site until August 2015.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-128

See also (for those with access: http://s.apache.org/chc)

I remembered the exchange about this, but wasn't aware that it'd taken
so long to fix.

When it came up (and in this Jira) it's said "we say that all committers
are PPMC members this is not as planned. Committers should be considered
separate from PMC members." The incubation status page likewise does not
distinguish PPMC. (Compare to CloudStack, which did:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html)

Where was it "planned"? I don't see any indicator in the Sentry proposal
that there was a distinction - where was it documented? If it wasn't
written down somewhere, how would anybody know it was "planned" that
way?

The most public reference would indicate to contributors that
contributors == PPMC. If it was "wrong" I can't find the source to
indicate that the podling felt differently.

Mea culpa for not looking at this more carefully at the time, but the
podling probably should have paused and had a public conversation about
this when it was first caught.

Best,

jzb
--