> Because of Apache Infrastructure's centralized server model (email lists,
version control, distributions, homepages, etc.), it  has the ability to
gather metrics such as, for example, the distribution of pushes to the
repository, the branch factor of the mailing list, the centrality of the
project in the Central Maven repository dependency graph, the number of
non-sequisters (dead-end conversations) in the email chain, the length of
discussions in JIRA, etc. etc.

Does anyone have any statistically significant measure that any of those
"measurables" define the health of a community?

> Which metrics are important? Who care -- just make up things to glean
from the wealth of information you already have access to. Watch...

"Who care".

"Just make up things".

WTH. Yeah, I thought not.

> Next, the Apache members subjectively say which projects they think are
"good" (healthy).
> [...]
​> From here, all Apache projects have a computed "healthy" score(s) and
when users go to download, lets say, Lucene, they go: "Cool. This is a
healthy project." (it has a HEALTH.txt file distributed with it, lets say).

​That file should not be named HEALTH.txt, ​it should be called
POPULARITY_CONTEST_WINNERS.txt.

What is wrong with, for the most part, allowing communities to define their
own success? Why do we have to pick "best"?

Why should every project community not picked as "best" by the membership
not then respond with an immediate and hearty "fuck you"?

I'm sorry, but this reads as a collection of frighteningly terrible ideas
that I hope die as quickly as possible.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy