Most non-trivial software projects I worked on (paid or un-paid) have RTC
culture. I cannot represent every single project, but in the ones that I'm
closely involved with that use RTC, it is simply part of the culture and
recognition that mandatory code review improves code quality. (We can
debate about this in a separate thread, since this is not what this thread
is about.)

I don't think we should elevate everything to "Apache Way", "trust", or
"community building". RTC vs CTR is not about:

1. Apache Way

Given ASF doesn't require RTC vs CTR vs somewhere in between, and different
TLPs already follow different ways, I don't think any mentor or the
incubator should force their view upon incubating projects.

2. Trust

It's just part of a project's process and culture. Greg brought up that RTC
is an indication of lack of trust and committers are just treated as normal
contributors: "What I haven't seen is an explanation why a committer must
be treated the same as a drive-by. Both are subject to requiring
'permission' to make even the simplest of changes under RTC."

Committers are required to use JIRA, github, and follow many other
processes that "drive-by" should follow. I don't see why "code review" is
different from filing JIRA tickets. In most RTC projects, committers do
have more rights -- a committer can review somebody else's patch and commit
it.

3. community building

Lots of successful open source projects, both inside and outside ASF,
employ RTC. As Todd mentioned, almost all the top 10 most starred (on
github) projects use some form of RTC, so it is hard for me to believe that
RTC would hinder community building. Of course, one can always argue that
if those projects had employed CTR, maybe they would've been even more
popular. But then we got into the area that we just have to agree to
disagree.