FWIW:

I just now looked at Gerrit (being it’s what sparked this discussion) and I
think that it falls in that category between classic CTR and RTC. I was reading
this document which gives an overview.[1] The review there happens IN the
central repo, but it’s mandatory before content is checked out. I assume the
technology uses two repos internally which is an “pending” repo as well as an
“approved” one but I could be wrong on that. (I only gave it a quick one-over.)

So technically, the review is after the commit (to a central staging repo), but
it’s mandatory before the commit is officially accepted and will be checked out
from the (central approved) repo. It’s an interesting approach.

(I realize that some folks will still consider this “bad”, but I can see why it
might be attractive.)

Harbs

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/intro-quick.html