On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM, James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm the PMC Chair for Apache Phoenix and a PMC member of Apache Calcite,
> both top level project and both of which I went through the incubation
> process. Recently several projects interested in going through incubation
> approached me to be a mentor, hence my interest in joining - so that I can
> help guide them through this process. I understand that the process for non
> ASF members is to initiate a vote on the private list. I'd appreciate it if
> that could start at your earliest convenience.
>
> Please let me know if I need to perform any further action before a vote is
> started.

Hi James, thanks for your interest. For what it's worth, there's no
reason you couldn't help out a podling without being a Mentor.  And
the process for non-ASF-Members joining the Incubator PMC is actually
the same as for any other Apache PMC -- someone earns merit and then
is invited to join.

Regardless of what happens in this specific case, if people are going
to initiate direct requests like this, I wish they would use the
private list.  Every once in a while somebody who has not earned merit
makes a request to join a PMC; it is awkward to rebuff such requests
discreetly when the request is public.  Apache private lists are not
supposed to be used a lot, but personnel discussions are one of the
main reasons we have them.

Marvin Humphrey