Hi,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:26 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > I'm wondering if the Apache Incubator is full right now?

Very interesting question.... I wouldn't say full, because volunteering is
hard to allocate in slots. But John is right, we're operating in the limits
of our capacity.

It seems that this question gets asked about once a year. The consensus
> always seems to be that this may not be the right question to ask. It is
> sort of like asking whether Hadoop has too many lines of Java. On a more
> serious note, I think that the takeaway from each of these threads over
> the years has been that the right question to ask is whether we're
> providing
> podlings with support they need to emerge as TLPs ASAP. I think that should
> be the focus of IPMC. A maniacal focus on getting the projects out either
> as
> TLPs or to the Attic should, indeed, be a constant priority for us. I know
> I'm
> in the minority when I say this, but I think this should be one of the few
> areas
> where IPMC and/or IPMC Chair gets to drive the inquiry as opposed to
> mentors
> doing it. Wave sitting in the Incubator since 2010 is clearly NOT in
> anybody's
> best interest.

Can we say if a podling stays incubating for a time (5 years?) is in a
heavy risk of leaving the incubator? I know each podling has different
timing; but I'l pretty sure we could find some common-sense milestones.

> So I wonder, is the incubator full? Has capacity plateaued and we should
> > discourage projects from joining?  Are there projects that we should
> > strongly encourage to graduate?
>
> I think you may be seeing signs of self-throttling. Basically if the
> new proposal
> comes in and there's nobody interested in mentoring it -- well the project
> won't
> go in.

Well, that just 1% of the work. Every body could easily volunteer for
mentoring; most os the work at that phase is done by the champion. But what
really requires time is actually mentoring the podling. My feeling is (I
have no figures) that is most of our current podling we have just 1-2
active mentors. That would be another way to look to that detail.

> In terms of reviewing releases -- Justin truly deserves a
> medal, but aside from his awesome efforts.

Absolutely! I have to pay him a Rebujito in Sevilla in Autumn ;-)

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager