On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
> <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >...there hasn't even been a vote on the proposal at this stage. :-)
>
> Correct ;-)
>
> FWIW I've seen an internal draft of Daniel Gruno's infrastructure cost
> analysis so that's progressing nicely, we should have public results
> soon and can then move forward.

One thing that is coming out of this discussion, and the costing is
plugins.nb.o. That seems to be a critical part of the NetBeans ecosystem
and cannot just be "left behind for a few months, and we'll hope to figure
it out before Oracle shuts it down".

I think it would be a tremendous hardship to the community to enter
incubation, not solve plugins.nb.o, and get their podling retired. Where
would NB go then? Would not be fun. (and by "solve", I mean: some basic
technical approach here at the ASF, and a +1 that the ASF can absorb the
related cost).

As an IPMC member, I'd be hard-pressed to accept NB without some of idea of
how the community will handle plugins. As Infra, I can help Daniel Gruno
with the costing and getting that +1 from on high.

(Note: I am sure that NB could be changed over time to use (say) Maven
Central, as mentioned else-thread, but that change is a multi-year rollout;
plugins.nb.o would likely need to exist even past that)

Cheers,
-g