Geertjan Wielenga wrote on 9/25/16 6:05 PM:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>

>> Having a third party run a service under an Apache brand requires working
>> with VP Brand.
>

> Indeed, this is something we're going to need to do. I.e., there will be
> existing NetBeans services that Apache will not be hosting. The clearest
> case of this will be plugins.netbeans.org. That is a service that one or
> more individual contributors will take on, making use of the infrastructure
> of an organization they work for.

These are all solvable questions, but the podling will need to work
closely with your mentors and others at the ASF to ensure they're done
in a way that still allows the future Apache NetBeans project to operate
fully independently of specific corporate influence.

  http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

We don't need to go through the details on this discuss thread, but both
*who* will be hosting these specific services as well as *how* they're
portrayed to the world will be things the podling needs to track.

It needs to be clear that development decisions on the podling are done
by the individual committers doing the work on the podling.  We also
need to ensure that if any external provider decides to drop the
service, that we have some way to keep the committer community working
on the NetBeans code itself still moving forward.

>From how the various NetBeans folks are describing things, this will be
complicated, but we should definitely be able to figure it all out
during the incubation process.  I'm also expecting that it will take
work on the image side to show the world that Oracle truly is giving up
control to the community, but again, it certainly sounds like you've got
the right people here to make that happen.

- Shane