(late to the party)

-1 (binding) as an ask to table the VOTE and try to reach some better consensus.

I have to agree with Julian that some more discussion may be prudent here. There are definitely two divided camps, both of which bring good points to the table.

* Differing policies for the languages/tools of products that podlings create (maven projects vs. python/ruby projects). Julian states this very well.

* A clear definition of what the IPMC thinks "x.y.z-incubating" should mean and some better public-facing docs on what "incubating releases" actually mean. - Groovy is a great, recent example. They were a very "mature" software project, but still were "immature" in the terms of an ASF community (purely speaking of them as being a podling, not a TLP). Personally, if I see the -incubating suffix on a version, I can recognize that the *community* is the thing at risk. However, I can also see how those less affiliated with the incubator could interpret it as "software quality". John states this very well in the VOTE text itself -- it leaves me wondering if we couldn't just be more clear out of the gates.

I also need to re-read the original thread from freemarker (no [DISCUSS] in the subject and the holidays kept me from reading it closely) to think about the original stated problem some more.

- Josh

Julian Hyde wrote:
John,

I see your points, and hopefully you see mine. I think we can agree on one
thing: we have not reached consensus. :)

The inconsistency among build tools is a red herring. If we want consistency
across build tools (and more importantly across package formats, regardless of
the tool used to build them), let’s first figure out what we want, and apply
this to all build tools.

Julian