Niclas,

I wanted to read through your notes pretty in depth before responding.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Coming late to the party...
>
> This has been discussed, and contentious, since "forever". A long time ago,
> there was a notion that a podling release was not an ASF release (which was
> the main reason for the "incubating" marker in all release and support
> artifacts. But that pendulum has swung in the opposite direction, and
> podling releases are now expected to be at ASF TLP levels.

Thank you for acknowledging this.

> Pierre pointed out that "incubating" refers to community and not code, but
> we don't release a community, we release code. I think this is an important
> fact.
>
> So, instead of tying the "incubating" marker to "incubating", I would favor
> a system of marker(s) indicating the code maturity (incl legal). So, for a
> podling release to be 1.2.3 (a la Groovy), the same release standard as
> TLPs are applied, but allow "alpha", "rc" or similar markers for podlings
> to "practice" releases. Probably not pushing those to mirrors, but
> otherwise identical in "process" for podling to get their grips on the
> release process.

I think this is a fair point, and probably close to what podling
communities do (when its a fairly new codebase).  We often see releases in
the 0.x line, and in the 1+ lines.  Its up to the podling to determine how
mature they are from a release numbering standpoint.  I wouldn't want the
IPMC to enforce a versioning scheme.

It does however seem like a foundation wide versioning scheme may make
sense, or at least references to common references, e.g. semver, may make
sense as a recommendation to new podlings.