On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know IOT is a super hot buzz word but here me out. This is not one of
> those attempts to brand a some random piece of software as IOT :)

Yeah, right ;-)

> When working with hardware there are a few common protocols. SPI, I2C, and
> GPIO. That are supported by a majority of the electronics
> http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX31725MTA+/?qs=g0UVtq9Ld0OAg4p2QdgbSw%3D%3D&gclid=CPz0uPCr69ECFdaFswodwrEDtQ
>
> It is very difficult, if not impossible, to find quality implementations of
> the software side of these protocols that have Apache licences.

Funny you should mention this: Apache Mynewt (incubating) is basically
rolling with exact same thesis but around BLE. My last conversation with
Sterling (CCed) also pointed at the fact that they were thinking of doing
the same with USB implementation.

What I love about Mynewt is that they are very heavily invested in small,
reusable and robust implementations (think libraries) of these protocols.
It seems that it is pretty close to what you have in mind.

> If you are working with a something like the Rasp PI your go-to library is
> GPL
> http://pi4j.com/license.html.
>
> My proposal would be the Apache IOT project (could get a better name like
> IOT WIRE). We would provide the software to speak I2C, GPIO, Modbus.
> Support could be either c, java, or both.

It actually makes tons of sense to me, but let me ask you this: what footprint
are you trying to target and what implementation? Are you thinking embedded
(which I guess will mean C) or something else (which could be anything including
Python, etc.)?

Are you thinking devices or clients?

Thanks,
Roman.