On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:40 AM, <dav...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sounds quite interesting :) It might also be an idea to provide a home for
> implementations of other hardware that can drive GPIO pins and can control
> similar sensors and other devices. I'm thinking of an Arduino, or something
> like an ESP8266. These are devices that are much simpler (and cheaper) than
> a Raspberry Pi, but if you are just building a sensor or a simple switch
> they are often quite useful.
>
> Would that fit with a project like this as well?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

David,

It is my understanding that what this project would produce would be device
independent.

In Unix operating systems devices are files. For the I2C bus the device id
would /dev/i2c-0.(I do not believe this would be different on a PI vs and
Arduino). My goal is to produce Apache licensed libraries like this here:

https://blogs.oracle.com/acaicedo/resource/RPi-HOL/GPIOTest.java

Namely:

    final GpioController gpio = GpioFactory.getInstance();
    final GpioPinDigitalOutput led1 =
gpio.provisionDigitalOutputPin(RaspiPin.GPIO_00);

        // continuously blink the led every 1/2 second for 15 seconds
    led1.blink(500, 15000);

However, if people are open to device driver implementations (I would
assume these would be BSD drivers) I think that is an interesting
direction and I know of some FreeBSD user groups that might be
interested in getting involved.

Thanks,

Edward