On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:39 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM,  <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Continuing progress on converting to asciidoc.
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I can't tell what you're doing from these huge commits.
>>
> Don't worry, I can't tell either.

Uh.... haha ha?

No.  Not cool.  IPMC Members and interested Incubator community
members have the right and the responsibility to review your changes.

>> Are you changing any content?
>>

> So far, here's the big changes I've done:
>
> - Split mentor guide into several parts (it was way too big)
> - Not converted proposal, and names.  Not that I don't want to, but haven't
> gotten to them yet.
> - Not converted the Eclipse and Maven release guides, need to find a better
> home for those.  I'll convert those if I can't find a better home.

OK, let me confirm: There are no substantive changes intended. These
are only being reformatted, and the split of the mentor guide is
driven by technical necessity.

>> If no data is being lost, how can we confirm that?
>>
> Word of mouth?  Its going to require significant QA to verify.  Many of the
> links won't work, so need reviewers.

Who's going to do this QA?  How do you envision a before and after
check happening? Eyeballing changes on the scale of the Incubator
website is not workable.

>> Does the method you're working on allow people to edit the site after
>> merely an SVN checkout, or would people have to install anything?
>>

> The hope is to actually make it as simple as CMS, without requiring the
> overhead of infra running/maintaining CMS.  Greg's team has been testing
> with github integration on the infra site, and I plan to test that here as
> well.  Basically, you would be able to edit online via github and commit,
> as long as you have write access to the repo.  If you don't have write
> access a pull request would be created automatically.

OK, glad to hear that.

> This is all conceptual at this point, mind you.

So is this just a prototype?  In other words, it's a dry run and when
it's finished you'll present a plan for an orderly transition?

Marvin Humphrey