On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:26 AM Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:39 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com
> >
> > wrote:

> >> John,
> >>
> >> I can't tell what you're doing from these huge commits.
> >>
> > Don't worry, I can't tell either.
>
> Uh.... haha ha?
>
> No.  Not cool.  IPMC Members and interested Incubator community
> members have the right and the responsibility to review your changes.

I'm not sure I'm following.  But I think you'll get it with the rest of the

> >> Are you changing any content?
> >>

> > So far, here's the big changes I've done:
> >
> > - Split mentor guide into several parts (it was way too big)
> > - Not converted proposal, and names.  Not that I don't want to, but
> haven't
> > gotten to them yet.
> > - Not converted the Eclipse and Maven release guides, need to find a
> better
> > home for those.  I'll convert those if I can't find a better home.
>
> OK, let me confirm: There are no substantive changes intended. These
> are only being reformatted, and the split of the mentor guide is
> driven by technical necessity.
>
> >> If no data is being lost, how can we confirm that?
> >>
> > Word of mouth?  Its going to require significant QA to verify.  Many of
> the
> > links won't work, so need reviewers.
>
> Who's going to do this QA?  How do you envision a before and after
> check happening? Eyeballing changes on the scale of the Incubator
> website is not workable.
>
> >> Does the method you're working on allow people to edit the site after
> >> merely an SVN checkout, or would people have to install anything?
> >>

> > The hope is to actually make it as simple as CMS, without requiring the
> > overhead of infra running/maintaining CMS.  Greg's team has been testing
> > with github integration on the infra site, and I plan to test that here
> as
> > well.  Basically, you would be able to edit online via github and commit,
> > as long as you have write access to the repo.  If you don't have write
> > access a pull request would be created automatically.
>
> OK, glad to hear that.
>
> > This is all conceptual at this point, mind you.
>
> So is this just a prototype?  In other words, it's a dry run and when
> it's finished you'll present a plan for an orderly transition?

I think so.  So far, the bulk of the changes are applying regex based
changes.  I gave up trying to import the svn repo, may need to follow up
with infra, so then we'll actually see the file changes when ready.  I
don't really want to lose history.