Hi All,

To understand part of the problem correctly, in currently proposed release
there are many compiled components  (jar files)that aren't allowed to be
included....
> clr% find . -name "*.jar"

   1. > ./android/playground/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
   2. > ./android/sdk/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
   3. > ./android/sdk/license/license-gradle-plugin-0.12.1.jar
   4. > ./android/sdk/license/maven-license-plugin-1.10.b1.jar
   5. > ./android/sdk/license/plexus-utils-3.0.24.jar
   6. > ./android/weex_debug/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
   7. > ./android/weex_debug/libs/classes.jar
   8. > ./scripts/apache-rat-0.12.jar

So lets break this down:

Re 1 & 2 and 6 : gradle-wrapper.jar
This is an 3rd party solution provided by the Gradle community/organisation
build through the 'gradle wrapper' task. Licensed under AL2.0. This can be
included in the source repo, however it can NOT (per current conventions)
be included in source releases. But it can be included in convenience
downloads based on source releases;

Re 3: license-gradle-plugin-0.12.1.jar
This is apparently a 3rd party solution available through e.g.
mvnrepository.com. Licensed under AL2.0. This can be included in the source
repo, however it can NOT (per current conventions) be included in source
releases. But it can be included in convenience downloads based on source
releases;

Re 4. maven-license-plugin-1.10.b1.jar
This is apparently a 3rd party solution available through e.g.
mvnrepository.com. Licensed under AL2.0. This can be included in the source
repo, however it can NOT (per current conventions) be included in source
releases. But it can be included in convenience downloads based on source
releases;

Re 5: plexus-utils-3.0.24.jar
This is apparently a 3rd party solution available through e.g.
mvnrepository.com. Licensed under AL2.0. This can be included in the source
repo, however it can NOT (per current conventions) be included in source
releases. But it can be included in convenience downloads based on source
releases;

Re 7: classes.jar
Cursory analysis of the jar shows that it  stemming from com.taobao java
code, used in [1] and referenced in the Weex proposal (see [2]).

Re 8: apache-rat-0.12.jar
This is an artefact produced by Apache Creadur project (see [3]). This can
be included in the source repo, and CAN be included in source releases (as
it is ASF own).And it can be included in convenience downloads based on
source releases;

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex/tree/master/android/weex_debug/src/main/java/com/taobao/weex
[2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WeexProposal~)
[3] http://creadur.apache.org/rat/

Conclusion(s):

   1. Many of the 3rd party solutions (jar files) used in the Apache Weex
   product are available in artefact repos like mvnrepository.com, and need
   not be included in the code base, source releases and convenience downloads
   as they can be retrieved through the dependency mgt solution used by the
   project (gradle in this case);
   2. Convenience downloads (jar files) of ASF projects can be included
   when downloaded from ASF sources. However, if these are not available
   through ASF or 3rd party artefact repos ( e.g. mvnrepository.com) it is
   advised that the project contacts the (appropriate) ASF project that
   delivers such solutions and have them included in these artefact repos. The
   project can then have such retrieved through the depency mgt solution used
   by the project;
   3. gradle-wrapper.jar is generated by executing a gradle task (./gradle
   wrapper), and is based on
      1. the gradle version used (by the person having downloaded the
      source)
      2. potential gradle configuration elements  included in the project's
      source code (build.gradle, etc).

No gradle-wrapper.jar artefact was found via mvnrepository.com. The ideal
situation (to resolve the major issue discussed in this thread) would be if
such convenience download would be made available through the various jar
repos (e.g. mvnrepository). This should (preferably) be done by the Gradle
community/organisation. However, in the short term, the project could
adjust the gradlew scripts in the codebase  to have that invoke the
download from the project's repo ((in ./gradlew for linux initiate e.g.
wget), and in ./gradlew.bat initiate an equivalent))

I trust the above helps to clear the air.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services