On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Abhishek Tiwari <a...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > In regards to the recently incubated project - Gobblin, we were wondering
>> > about the policy around renaming Java package names to org.apache.* Is
>> it a
>> > mandatory requirement or good to have?
>> >
>> > The reason to ask this is that while we see many projects have migrated
>> > use org.apache.* package name for their Java source files, the Kafka
>> > project uses kafka.* for Scala sources and org.apache.kafka.* for Java
>> > sources.
>> >
>> > Please let us know as soon as possible, because we are in process of
>> > renaming the  packages but if not mandatory we would want to keep
>> gobblin.*
>> > package name and avoid the cost of downstream migrations and backwards
>> > incompatibility.
>>
>> You don't have to do it right away, but it is a requirement unless you
>> have a really,
>> really, really good reason of why you can't do that.
>>

> I'm not aware of any requirement around Java package naming.  IN fact, last
> time it came up it was clear that its a best practice only, and doesn't
> have any actual naming requirements.

I'm not a policy wonk, but for every single podling I've witnessed this
has been a very strong bias to be in o.a namespace.

Speaking as an IPMC member I would like to see new projects migrate
into o.a namespace unless there's a really good reason not to.

Or to put it another way, if you want to avoid threads like this one:
   http://markmail.org/message/2bsrtgckuuihhnv4
during your graduation VOTE -- it is better to think about rename now.

Thanks,
Roman.