On 03/08/17 15:51, Julian Hyde wrote:
It rarely comes down to the IPMC or the Board dictating how a project names its
java classes (does anyone recall an instance?), so it’s mainly the project’s
discretion. In my opinion, where the project is on its adoption curve is an
important consideration.

+1

Most projects that enter the incubator are early on the adoption curve. Their
future users outnumber their current users. The earlier these projects make the
change to org.apache, the fewer people they will ultimately impact. It seems
that gobblin is in this category.

A few projects, such as Flex, are already near the top of their adoption curve.
The cost/benefit of renaming is not as compelling.

Jena was not early on the adoption curve. Long term compatibility has been, and is, a major element of the project culture. Importantly, there are active users who answer questions (here, elsewhere), external web tutorials, books etc referring to the pre-ASF API. We have a responsibility to them as well.

"add an API" is more stuff that a small set of volunteer contributors (Jena has had no paid contributors working on) could not have coped with. If a project has the capacity, sure. Not all project will.

Set the expectations too high and it is implicitly a filter for a certain kind of project in size and structure.

    Andy

Julian