On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 7:26 AM Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote on 9/4/17 4:54 AM:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:11 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >> ...Its unfair for us to put some stake in the ground expecting podlings
> >> match up 100% on the questions.  Many of the questions are subjective -
> is
> >> the code easy to discover? respond to bug reports in a timely manner?...
> >
> > Ok, I think I understand your reluctance now: you don't want us to set
> > a gate for graduating podlings that many TLPs might not pass.
> >
> > I agree with that, and although I'm a strong supporter of the Maturity
> > Model (having initiated it that's understandable ;-) I'm totally ok
> > with podlings graduating without fullfilling all of its requirements.
> >
> > In my view the model is:
> >
> > 1) A good tool to help discover areas that podlings might have neglected.
> >
> > 2) A good tool to help podlings look at where they stand, and what
> > they might still need to improve after graduation.
> >
> > 3) A good tool to express our ideal way of doing things, in a concise
> > way, and evolve that definition over time.
> >
> > Based on this I will continue to push for podlings to come to
> > graduation with a self-assessment based on that model.
> >
> > OTOH I'm fine with us clarifying that it's not a requirement.
>
> Proposal: It should be a *requirement* for the podling to self-document
> their maturity model answers in the [DISCUSS] thread before IPMC
> graduation vote.  The requirement is having done it, not passing it.

To be clear - it is not a requirement today for podlings to complete the
Apache Project Maturity Model.  I'll be honest, I have no idea why they
think they have to do it, but they do it.  I don't want to stop them from
doing it, but I want to stop them from incorrectly stating they pass
everything.  I also want to clarify that the answers should not be "Yes" or
"No" but an "OK" and explaining their response, or perhaps an "N/A" and
explain why that line doesn't apply to them yet (the most common issue is
related to something Dave's brought up recently where projects are answer
the security reporting questions).