On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:22 PM Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 5:52 PM, Tal Liron <t...@cloudify.co> wrote:
>
> Would a version like "1.9.0.incubating" be feasible?
>

> I appreciate the creative idea. :) But it's very non-standard and not with
> the spirit of what the version string is for. The "official" document on
> versioning is this:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/
>
> You are allowed string specifiers, but they are all meant for release
> types: dev, beta, etc. I would think that adding a project status qualifier
> here would be an abuse of the versioning string for adding metadata. Not
> the end of the world, but feels wrong to me and might have repercussions
> that I cannot foresee. Otherwise, there is quite a bit of metadata for
> Python packages, and we definitely make it clear wherever we can this it is
> an ASF incubating project.
>
> By the way, Apache Airflow has a very minimal description that might not
> make it so clear that it is an Apache incubating project. To compare:
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/apache-airflow/1.9.0
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/apache-ariatosca/0.1.1
>

> Thanks. Perhaps if you can make sure that the line with "ARIA is an
> incubation project under the Apache Software Foundation
> <https://www.apache.org/>.” Is expanded to include the whole DISCLAIMER.
>
> What do people think?

I think I agree.  If we ask that the full disclaimer gets put on the README
that generates the landing page for pypi package, that would satisfy any
concerns I could see.  Technically, if that README appeared in the source
release as well you wouldn't have to include a separate DISCLAIMER file.

The purpose behind "-incubating" is to make it clear that this is not an
endorsed release (whatever that means from a foundation standpoint).  It's
not meant to encumber or slow down usage of the product by any means.  If
there's a hardship with adding it, we (the IPMC) want to understand the
issue and help come up with a solution rather than mandate following an
existing process.