On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 April 2018 at 10:39, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>... Podlings can create a simple page in Git/SVN, however it won't be
> >> displayed without some Infra setup to copy the html from the SCM to
> >> the host...
> >
> > Granted but that's quite easy to do from the podling's side: just push
> > the content to the asf-site branch of a Git repository and ask infra
> > to activate the sync as in
>
> Yes, it is simple but it is one other job to do.
> And it cannot be done by Infra until it is known what SCM they are want to
> use.

And that goes back to my original statement about solutions - we tell them
what to do.  Infra has tools in place.  They've deprecated old tools and
want new tools to be used, so we make that the norm for podlings.  Assuming
no build requirement, we seed a git repo from the apache-website-template
and have them fill it in with info, or create a skeleton off of
apache-website-template that has it done.

I'm even inclined to think forking apache-website-template to
incubator-podling-template makes the most sense, and make the edits there.
It would have all of the branches set up and a base page that infra can
point to.

FWIW, Jekyll is pretty heavily used across projects.  I didn't use it for
the incubator website due to the file parsing that's needed, but for the
static content it would be fine.