On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Regarding Quickstep. I am a mentor. (One mentor resigned earlier this
> year, but the other mentor, Roman, is sufficiently engaged.)
>
> I am concerned that Quickstep is not going to graduate. They are
> functioning well as an academic project, as evidenced by papers at top
> conferences[1], but all of their contributors are from the same
> university department. They have made a few efforts at community
> building, but do not seem to be building a user base, or attracting
> outside contributions.
>
> (Note that traffic for July and August is lower than usual, due to
> their contributors being in academia. Traffic on the dev list should
> pick up somewhat in September.)
>
> Embrace of Apache has been half-hearted. Note, for instance, that
> their twitter account [2] still references their pre-Apache home page
> [3] rather than their Apache page [4].
>
> Quickstep made their first release in March 2017 but have not made
> further releases. I am going encourage them to make a new release
> soon. That will stimulate some community activity. But I am dubious
> that this will attract outside contributors.

Basically, I'm +1 on every single point that Julian makes, but having
said this I'm unsure as to where can we go from here.

In the past we typically shied away from setting deadlines for certain
milestones in community development within podlings. This, in my view,
somewhat encouraged this phenomenon of an "eternal podling" (active
enough not to be in the attic, not active/ApacheWay'y enough to
graduate). I feel like Quickstep, for example, can exist in this state
indefinitely.

Thanks,
Roman.