+1 to what Bertrand wrote. Solves the problem very neatly. Thank you, Bertrand.

It goes a long way towards answering my original question, because “What should
voters check for when reviewing binary artifacts?” is now a matter for each
PMC, not a matter for the Foundation.

+1 to Roman’s suggestion to make it part of policy.

If we follow Bertrand’s semantics then the semantics of a vote are a little
more complex than before. The voter is voting on the release (consisting only
of source artifacts), an act of the Foundation, and the binary artifacts, an
act of the PMC. It would be extremely helpful if there were a template for the
text of the vote email that release managers you use, if they so chose. Roman,
could you include such a template the the revised release policy?

Julian