> > One of the tings I've noticed is that the vetos on a podling's first
> > release can be a bit harsh.
>
> A -1 on a release is not a veto. A release can still pass if it gets 3
> +1 votes. However in this case because of the jar in a source release
> it’s unlikely IMO to get 3 +1 IPMC votes.

You're quite right. A "-1" is not a veto on a release vote. (It is on any other
vote.)
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I would still say that many people, especially those new to ASF, feel that a
"-1" is a veto (and receive it harshly).
As Incubator VP people do respect you, and comments on how we expect releases
to be fixed (or improved for next time) i believe would be received better
without the "-1", even if technically you are correct (and you are providing
the feedback on ASF voting actually works).

> > This would add some burden to the Incubator.
>
> I doubt the board will allow the incubator to do this, if you see an
> issue at a TLP you can alway ask them to fix it al well.

My suggestion/thought-bubble wasn't the burden being the responsibility in
getting graduate projects in fixing their violations, but only in surveying the
precedence and extent of violations  among ASF projects.

regards,
Mick