Hi,

> If we all say fine.. let's just throw more paperwork at it, I would ask you
> to help draft a line for the NOTICE of what we would do. suppose we would
> also have to do this for gradle etc.

You would need to do this for any 3rd party file bundled with a release and yes
sometimes this is complex and takes time. See for example Apache Newt. [1]

> So basically if we accept that the new norm is this level of detail on
> incidental files,

It’s a 3rd party file not an incidental file and the ASF has policy around what
to do when including 3rd party files which a (P)PMC and releases need to comply
with. [2][3]

To comply however is a simple change that needs to be made once to clearly
inculcate the IP province and license of that file to users of the projects.

> would it be "this includes source generated by the takari maven plugin"?
> and of course if we say this, the next cruft is explaining gradle etc.

If you don’t know what to do ask you mentors or the IPMC for help. If you
disagree with advice given then clarify on legal-discuss.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-newt/blob/master/LICENSE
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#goal