On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 7:50 PM Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Point me to where you are not allowed to make non-official podling releases
> > that conform to Incubator policy.
>
> I find that hard to parse and perhaps you meant don’t conform to incubator
> policy? But either way it’s not incubators policy, it’s the boards and infra
> policy.

Been lurking.  Before I proceed, I will note that you have two members
of the board and one infrastructure representative participating.
Each has either explicitly or implicitly supported the idea of the
incubator setting direction for podlings.

Now my observation.  My experience is that when a PMC comes to the
board with an open ended question asking for advice, the responses are
not crisp.  This is by design.  We are not a top down organization.
No one Director is authorized to speak for the board.

An approach I have found much more successful: come up with a
proposal.  Often times it will get approved.  Some times you will be
asked to make changes.  And some times you will get yelled at.

But one thing you will get is a crisp answer.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Don't take this advice as recommending that you create a board
resolution.  In most cases, coming to consensus in a transparent way
and informing the board in a sentence or a paragraph in the next board
report that unless you hear otherwise, the Incubator will be
implementing X is sufficient.