There are three kinds of release constraints at Apache. Only one is
critical for new podlings.

1. Legal constraints on whether Apache has the right to distribute the
source code in question and link to any non-source dependencies. This
mostly applies to projects coming out of commercial entities, but I would
lump adversarial forks of open source projects into this category. Note
that GPL inclusions are not a problem at this level, since they still allow
us to make a source release legally.

My feeling is that this is the only truly non-negotiable item for a podling
release made at Apache.

2. Downstream constraints on users. Mature projects at Apache provide good
guarantees that using the release will not have limited allowable field of
use or strange license terms. This is a MUST-DO for a top-level project
release, but it is plausible to allow this for early podling releases with
LOTs of disclaimers and warning signs. Examples of this are GPL inclusions,
the JSON.org "don't be evil" license, non-commercial licenses and
non-optional binary dependencies that are not open source. All of these
could plausibly be allowable in an incubating release if the fact that the
release doesn't have the normal safety of an Apache release.

I would expect that any graduating podling has this under control before
graduating and will not make any TLP releases with this kind of defect.

3. Infrastructural impact on Apache itself. This means that a project can't
require that infra rebuild their systems just to accommodate some
idiosyncratic strangeness of the podling. This is typically a pretty strict
constraint, but is reasonable to waive for early releases if, say, the
podling uses non-Apache resources on an interim basis or if the project
really does have some special needs and infra is willing to help.

Again, this issue probably has to be dealt with one way or another before
graduation.