Hi,

It’s a pity that the people who are strongly for this position, don’t seem to
actually want to be involved in helping out, but just want to discuss and tell
the people actually doing the work are going the wrong way about this. :-)

> Be honest now. We are not talking a TLP release. This is "some code" from a
> podling. It may have stuff in it that would make a Director stroke out
> (maybe not Ted, it seems :p ) ... Why does the IPMC feel a need to put its
> "imprimatur" on the release? And who/when said they must? And let's say we
> can dig that up from the past ... why not remove/relax it?

I'st a release by the incubator PMC and thus needs to follow ASF policies, do
you consider the incubator a TLP or not? As to why was it originally done this
way, that’s before my time so I don’t actually know. Perhaps someone else can
find or comment on that.

> It seems there is some consensus that podling releases are getting jammed
> up by IPMC rules.

No exactly a) release policy is not IPMC rules. b) The large majority of
releases have no issues. c) Where a -1 happens it for a good reason.

> Assuming that is true, then why not question the vote process itself?

Sure but that is side tracking this thread which is on the actual proposal to
the board.

> Let's say at least ONE of a podling's Mentors MUST give a +1. Then the PPMC
> gets at least (2) more, majority blah blah.

PPMC votes are not binding on releases, again exactly why it was set up this
way I do not know, but I guess it because they are just learning about the
process and not a "full citizen” yet. You need 3 + 1 binding votes from the PMC
and more +1s than -1s to make a release.

> Wouldn't that be acceptable?

I have no idea, it probably break several ASF bylaws / policies which are not
set by the IPMC and it don’t follow what TLP projects do. I’m fairly sure that
the IPMC can't ignore those policies without permission from the board. Hence
why this proposal exists.

> What other way? Link? Publicity for this?

See [1], there was a large amount of discussion about this onlist and it was in
a recent board report, so the mentors should be aware of it. There was also an
alternative voting process put forward 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks,
Justin

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/495ed84b43c1ba2662075a6c8c869bcd337b6bf4bc1895149c1483de@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E