I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject of this thread - whether it should
be easy for ASF members to join the IPMC - but I have a strong opinion about a
related matter - namely, how easy it should be for non-ASF members to join the
IPMC.

The IPMC should be actively recruiting members of recently-graduated projects
to serve as mentors of the next generation of podlings.

I bet quite a few people people think that you have to be an ASF member to be
on the IPMC or mentor a project. And we certainly give the impression that ASF
members make the best mentors. But I claim that people who have just been
through the incubation process also make excellent mentors. They have
experienced the pain, and they know the answers to many of the IT- and
process-related questions because they have just solved them.

Like Sheng, I joined the IPMC before I was a member. The project I founded,
Calcite, was close to graduating and I was active on general@ because being a
podling is hard and raises many questions. Some other podlings were entering
incubation and someone (I think Ted Dunning or Alan Gates) asked me to be a
mentor. From that, I was drawn into other Apache projects, saw the broader
Apache community, and was drawn into the worthy task of helping to govern the
Foundation. For me, serving as a mentor was a way of saying ’thank you’ for the
help I had received from mentors during incubation. And for the IPMC, it
provided an active and engaged mentor, always a scarce resource.

Julian