Hi,

> I think all of these situations can occur with or without the new incubator
> policy.

It possibles yes, but they would be less likely to occur.

> his can only be more restrictive than the original ASF policies.

These are not more restrictive than current policy. I really don’t understand
why you think that they are. Please point out where that is the case and I’ll
correct it.

> If there’s consensus on the guideline among the TLPs

There probably is not consensus among TLP on this and different projects will
do it in different ways. That is fine as long as it complies, but working that
does can be difficult.  Some TLP projects may not be complying with policy and
not be aware of it, which may become a future issue. Even worse podlings may
copy them rather that actually reading and understanding ASF policy or the
intent behind it.

This document allows for a variety of interpretation - "All of the above SHOULD
be followed. The podling can ask the IPMC for permission to do otherwise.” Note
the use of the word SHOULD rather than MUST. SHOULD means unless you have a
good reason to do otherwise.

> and everyone agrees with your assessment, why would it take ASF years to
> reach consensus on them?

It taken years to get to this point and these issues and the like have been
discussed for over a decade without resolution and that’s why policy don’t
exist. The current board is trying to address that but it’s likely to be a slow
process.

The fact that once again this discussion has got derailed leaves me with very
little hope that this will get resolved. A large amount of work has been put
into this by many people, and it's unfortunate that these objections were
brought up so late in the process.

Thanks,
Justin