Isn't developing on a fork of the project and submitting a PR considered
"developed inside the project"?

When I contribute to Apache projects, I fork the project, write code using the
project's headers, and submit a PR from my fork.  I never claim copyright as my
own or use my own header.  This is exactly what happened here.

The only difference here is that there were multiple contributors to that fork,
and it is likely that some or all of them did so during working hours or using
equipment by a company, which normally claims IP in such conditions; thus the
explicit donation/grant.

What headers do you propose they should have used instead on (1) code they
altered that already carried the ASF header, and (2) new files they created?