Hello Incubator!

I am continuing a 72 VOTE from the Flagon Community on Incubator General
regarding the acceptance of an ICLA and Software Grant into the Apache Flagon
(Incubating) Podling.

The purpose of this VOTE is to establish consensus and transparency wrt to IP
Clearance.

We conducted a Community Discussion @ Flagon and a VOTE.

VOTE Thread on Flagon Private:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/t5gof3sj40xrv2ylrgntx6oz2vdcc37t

VOTE Result on Flagon Private:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/dvz7rtxl77pfqb3c3tgn36g1wbfgr54h

[3] +1 (+2 Binding)
[0] 0
[0] -1

Accepted Submission of ICLA to Secretary:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/fz6v7x9gjcllr5dvsf5ho9hbt7ogrwvw

Respectfully,

Josh (Flagon PPMC)

Details on the Software Grant Follow (copied from original Flagon VOTE) below:

 The Software Grant encompasses a refactor of the Apache Flagon Distill
product, which has been deprecated for a few years now [1]  This Grant includes
~150 new commits and thousands of new insertions (and a lot of deletions)  At
UMD my team and I re-thought Distill as a Python Package (for distro through
PyPI) [2] that allows users to:  - efficiently segment UserALE.js (or User
Behavior Logs) data - curate segments - transform segments with logical
operations (intersection, union, etc.) - filter log data extracted from
segments - apply analytics (e.g., statistical, graphs) to data extracted from
segments - support graph-based visualization (funnel, sankey)  Additionally: -
code is well documented [3] - excellent working examples [4]  Distill also
provides examples for dashboards to visualize segments using both Apache
Superset and Plotly/Dash  The original Distill product was tethered to a
front-end (Tap), relied on rudimentary (and error-prone) processing of segments
within the client. This made Distill difficult to maintain and required users
to adopt tap, limiting their analytical use-cases with UserALE.js and Distill.
Overall, I think that Distill provides a far more scaleable product to engage
(and expand) our development community. I think this will add real value to
Apache Flagon.  Overhead/Actions prior to release:  - Documentation builds will
need be adjusted for a new repo/branch - Additional documentation for a few
analytical functions (i.e., click-rate) - Minor tweaks to simply code in a few
functions (i.e., click-rate) - Some restructuring of Repo to consolidate and
organize examples - a few additional README’s should be added (i.e., examples
/dir)  IP Clearance  The Software Grant is signed by Felicia Metz, esq. who is
an Associate Director at the University of Maryland’s, UMD Ventures office,
which has authority to release UMD IP. That makes accepting this grant
significantly easier from an IP Clearance perspective.  New Committers  The UMD
executed CCLA includes 5 new committers and potentially new PPMC members [see 5
for executed Software Grant from UMD]

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-flagon-distill
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-flagon-distill>  [2]
https://github.com/UMD-ARLIS/incubator-flagon-distill/tree/distill_toolkit_refactor