One idea is to schedule a review after the project has been in the
incubator longer than the median time (say after 2 years). Deep-dive
into what is going right and wrong, identify things that can be fixed,
and set targets. And schedule another review a year later. Or schedule
a vote to retire.

One might even do this review (gasp!) over Zoom, so that people can
ask questions and have them answered in real time.

It sounds shockingly invasive, considering we at Apache tend to do
everything asynchronously. But it's better than the alternative, which
is a slow death as mentors and initial committers drift away.

Julian