At 07:41  2/2/01 -0500, Ted Husted wrote:
>When considering the merits of a product, it is important to consider
>the human factor of both our users and developers. It's no secret the
>teams working on competiting solutions often "hate each other". Maybe
>that's a good thing. It may not be as efficient, but given the human
>factor, duplicating resources and fostering competition is usually more
>* effective * than "benevolent" cooperation.

I dislike the implications of this. You advocate reinventing a wheel
because you can - and better - you get to spit in someone else face. These
things - desirable or not - do not belong inside Apache. Yes - competition
is good however not the type you advocate. Look at the cocoon vs turbine
competition. I remember a time when both groups thought the other didn't
know what they were doing. It wasn't till later that some Cocoon2 peeps
crossed over to the other side and saw Turbine was good (ot sure if vice
versa is true).

>We need more than just science. We need scientists.

Only if they are good Apache scientists - no need to get us more scientists
who don't want to follow the Apache way. There is plenty of other
organisations that can host them.

Cheers,

Pete