Peter,

Thanks for your reply. My question was really about the logical meaning of dual
licensing. For example, assume that the GPL has requirements G1, G2, Gn and the APL
has requirements A1, A2, ..., Am, does dual licensing mean:

1) All of G1, G2, .., Gn, A1, A2, ..., Am must be satisfied.

2) Either all of (G1, G2, ..., Gn) must be satisfied or all of (A1, A2, ..., Am) must
be satisfied but not both group of conditions.

Interpretation 1 is the worst of both worlds. As such I don't think it would satisfy
anybody, quite the contrary.

Interpretation 2 is probably correct. What happens to derivative work licensed under
GPL/APL? Must it be GPL/APL too? In particular, what happens to fresh code that links
to the original GPL/APLed code...

Doesn't dual licensing leave the door wide open for abuse? If tomcat were dual
licensed, then one could usurp the tomcat label (by invoking GPL terms) and have code
with a totally different license link with tomcat (by invoking APL terms). This
situation is not logically equivalent to 2 but who is going to prove otherwise? Are
you confused? I know I am. Ceki

At 12:38 23.02.2001 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>At 02:32  23/2/01 +0100, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>>Absolutely agree. However, a good portion of the world does not. We should
>strive to accommodate both camps. Could anyone explain what dual GPL/APL
>licensing really means? Thanks in advance, Ceki
>
>In terms of Apache it means the value of the Apache name is devaluaed to a
>degree. At the moment you can not fork off code but you can not use same
>name as Apache project. So if you forket tomcat you could use the code but
>would need to name it something else. As at the moment the Apache name is
>largely synonymous with quality (with a few exceptions) this could be a
>significant threat to some. The only way to get around this would be to use
>trademark law (either common or registered trademarks) to protect names but
>that is a lot more work/money. The other issue is that the APL requires
>giving credit which is either good or bad depending on who you ask ;)
>Cheers,
>
>Pete

>| "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind, |
>| and proving that there is no need to do so - almost |
>| everyone gets busy on the proof."                   |
>|              - John Kenneth Galbraith               |

----
Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
av. de Rumine 5     email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
CH-1005 Lausanne           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15