on 3/4/01 11:47 AM, "Sam Ruby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jon Stevens wrote:
>>
>> Gump is dictating.
>>
>> Ok, so if you die who is going to do the upload?
>
> Gump is open source.  Anybody can run it.
>
> This is an odd argument anyway - why don't you object to the nightly builds
> of Ant?

builds of the code are different from builds of the live website.

i think that putting Gump (a tinderbox tool) in charge of building the live
website is not right in this situation. i want a more manual process than
Gump.

> Tell me the frequency you would like.  Or build a minimal workspace that
> you desire yourself.

I want the power of being able to say: "When *I* decide the website gets
updated it will get updated."

I see this all the time with Sun. They have a build system that rebuilds
their live java.sun.com website a couple times a day. Sometimes Danny will
post something relating to a JSR-053 and he has to say that the changes will
go out the next time the site is updated. That slows the process down. I
want more immediate results. I also want a way to *quickly* back out those
changes in the event something goes out that shouldn't have.

The current system (which I really like...therefore, I don't think it is
broken) allows me to do that.

> Recently, you were discussing the number of human steps required to update
> the website.  This reduces the process to checkout, update, commit.
> Optional builds are recommended, but not required.  No steps on the server.

You are missing my point. I want a step on the server.

cvs up

It produces a nice output of what has been updated changed or removed.

> If you want to delete something, you delete it in one place (the xdocs
> directory), not in two places (the docs directory and the xdocs directory
> as you currently have to).

I don't mind that. It enforces what I'm doing to ensure mistakes aren't
being made.

Sam, I feel like you are trying to fix something that isn't broken (IMHO) in
this case.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous