Peter Donald wrote:
<snip/>
> Of course I am sure I will get flamed for this - or told how I "just don't
> understand" ? (Funny thing is they can't explain it either). Anyways both
> Sam and Craig were on the library list so they should be able to indicate
> if I am biased ;) I will try to answer any sensible retorts before I go
> away for the weekend. Anyways - flame on !

After covering this ground on the library-dev list, the volunteers chose
to propose a new subproject. The consensus is summed up in the FAQ.

--

Why not just do this within Avalon, or another existing subproject?

Avalon is a large subproject that is being refactored. It's possible
that the charter of one of the ensuing pieces may overlap with the
Commons.

The focus of the Commons is squarely and solely on developing packages
that can be reused by multiple
products, both within and without Jakarta. To garner the interest of
committers, it is important that the Commons and each of its packages be
perceived as an independent entity. Since this is a volunteer
meritocracy, the perception of committers is vital. No subproject can
succeed without the earnest support of individual committers.

It is our firm position that the Commons will attract more committers on
its own than if it were aligned with any existing subproject. What
"committers will commit to" has to be the prime consideration. Darwin
has been trying to tell us that; it's time we listened.

--

-Ted.