Hi Jon,

I am referring to otherwise honest people who choose to contribute their enhancements
back to the project. They create new classes but in the process remove the names of
previous authors. They do this in good-faith as otherwise they would not have
contributed their code. I think it is a question of culture/custom.

I do not think we have a document outlining authorship rules. Does anyone know one?
Regards, Ceki

At 11:51 07.06.2001 -0700, you wrote:
>on 6/7/01 11:42 AM, "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> This comes up from time to time and usually has me jump through the roof. Good
>> willing contributors, take a piece of  existing log4j code, modify or enhance
>> it, but remove the previous author's names.  They then post their code as if
>> it was their own. Regardless of how much they modified the code, by removing
>> the previous author's names they are committing theft. I find this very
>> disturbing. What do others think? What can we do to combat this phenomenon?
>> Regards, Ceki
>
>There is a difference between doing this accidentally and doing it on
>purpose. If it is determined that it is done on purpose and the people who
>did it refuse to follow the license, then the Jakarta PMC should be notified
>and we can sick the ASF Legal team on the problem. Note, this seems like it
>would be a last resort type of situation. The best is to try to at least
>discuss with the villains (jokingly said) first and make sure that it was
>not intentional.
>
>-jon
>
>--
>"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
>            -Steve Balmer, CEO Microsoft
><http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-micro01.html>

Ceki Gülcü