On 7/3/01 4:36 PM, "Sam Ruby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>>> I strongly believe that any any such nomination should be to
>>> xml.apache.org.
>>
>> Reasons?
>
> The xml-axis project is a restructuring of xml-soap.  This restructuring
> was initiated with the expressed intent of providing a foundation for
> supporting multiple protocols, including, XML-RPC.  To date, however, we
> have been unsuccessful in getting anyone interested enough to work on
> supporting the XML-RPC protocol.

I find that a very unconvincing argument. You suggest having the XML-RPC
package housed at xml.apache.org because no one is interested in it. No one
at xml.apache.org did the leg work to find an XML-RPC implementation whose
author was willing to donate it. If there is such a lack of interest
in XML-RPC I definitely feel that Jakarta is a better place for it.

If there eventual interest than there is no reason why the XML-RPC
package can't be integrated into xml-axis. But at present you say there
is no interest, so I would say xml.apache.org is not the right place
for the XML-RPC package. You yourself would like to see XML-RPC integrated
into xml-axis but as yet no one has done anything about it.

> This being said, I don't want to pre-judge the result as to whether or not
> the current Axis code base is a good fit; it might very well be appropriate
> that these two projects belong side by side.  Don't get me wrong, my clear
> preference is for the former, but if the latter is meant to be, then so be
> it.  But side by side, not pitting one PMC against another within Apache
> land.

I think you're jumping the gun here. I think the project should definitely
start on its own. If someone is interested in integrating the XML-RPC code
into xml-axis than they are free to do so. Whether the code will fit with
axis is an irrelevant question at this point in time.

> Additionally, the Jakarta project is a bit on the large side, so I am
> concerned about growth - that in itself is not a showstopper, but is a
> concern and if there is at least an equally good fit in xml, then that is a
> better home.

I fail to see your reasoning. How is managing another package less a burden
to one project and not another? It's another project at Apache and will
require time and resources. The initial set of committers will go where
the code goes. Jakarta has 18 projects, xml.apache.org has 14. So I don't
see that as a convincing argument either. If you are saying that Apache
as a whole should slow down in absorbing more projects, than I would
probably agree with you.

> Also note that the XML PMC has taken a different path, there
> is not a mapping of PMC members to subprojects; this being said, if the
> right home for XML-RPC is in xml.apache, then I will promise to watch over
> it (I am a PMC member there).

I appreciate the sentiment :-)

> I also noted that a number of other Jakarta PMC members expressed similar
> concerns, presumably without my prompting.

I think that was a knee jerk reaction to seeing XML in the project name.
Fair enough. You've had two people so far.

My reasons for Jakarta are 1) The impetus for the proposal came from the
initial list of committers who are involved in Jakarta. I think our wishes
should count for something. And we decided to make the proposal here after
some discussion. 2) I don't think xml.apache.org would provide a good fit
because  a) no one started an xml-rpc implementation for xml-axis and b) no
one tried to find anyone with an existing implementation. How could
xml.apache.org be a better or even equal fit.

I would like this not to drag out. The initial list of committers would
prefer this to be a Jakarta project. I would like to vote and go from
there.

> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  A quick peek at the code base - no Ant, yet another XML parser
> (non-JAXP, non-Apache).  Not insurmountable, but it would be nice to be
> fixed...

I have the latest code with an Ant build that Josh Lucas cleaned up,
and it uses xerces as the default parser.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine