This is the type of thing that a lot of people are talking Web
Services and SOAP about.  SOAP is all about message passing between clients
and servers, allowing the clients to be written in any language you want.
(There's also a lot of marketing hype around SOAP so remember to investigate
for yourself.)  I haven't used SOAP, but Apache has an implementation
(xml.apache.org) that you might want to look at.

        Randy