Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Many months ago I asked Markus Dahm whether or not he would be interested in
> BCEL (Byte Code Engineering tool) being a Jakarta project as I was using and
> thought it a very cool package, and I believe Xalan uses it for their
> compiler, but nothing resulted from the initial conversation.
>
> Markus has approached me now stating that he would be interested in BCEL
> becoming a Jakarta project so I thought I would see what others thought.
> BCEL has many applications including compilers, analysis tools and who knows
> what else.

Velocity depends on BCEL's predecessor - JavaClass.  Avalon's Excalibur
includes a GNU licensed competitor named gnu.bytecode from a package named
Kawa, but no longer seems to be depending on it.

I see this as an indication that there is an interest in such
functionallity by Java based Apache projects, but I would prefer to
understand the history behind Velocity and Excalibur's choices before
proceeding.

- Sam Rubyb