On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:50, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Many months ago I asked Markus Dahm whether or not he would be interested
> > in BCEL (Byte Code Engineering tool) being a Jakarta project as I was
> > using and thought it a very cool package, and I believe Xalan uses it for
> > their compiler, but nothing resulted from the initial conversation.
> >
> > Markus has approached me now stating that he would be interested in BCEL
> > becoming a Jakarta project so I thought I would see what others thought.
> > BCEL has many applications including compilers, analysis tools and who
> > knows what else.
>
> Velocity depends on BCEL's predecessor - JavaClass.  Avalon's Excalibur
> includes a GNU licensed competitor named gnu.bytecode from a package named
> Kawa, but no longer seems to be depending on it.

Naah -we should delete that ;) Though Avalon will have dependencies on BCEL
in the future (though not for about 4-5 months).

> I see this as an indication that there is an interest in such
> functionallity by Java based Apache projects, but I would prefer to
> understand the history behind Velocity and Excalibur's choices before
> proceeding.

Excaliburs choice was via ignorance of other toolkits. I managed to find w
other opensource toolkits and a few commercial toolkits. In pure technical
terms, BCEL is one of the best (if not the best) that I know of (though some
commercial toolkits have better docs). I would have chosen BCEL over
gnu.bytecode if I had known about it.

The one issue is lack of community. I have been on the BCEL/JavaClass mailing
list for a while and there is little traffic except from users but I guess I
see this because BCEL is a niche product and relatively high quality one
(hence why no one has jumped on board to help).

Another issue is that it uses gnu.regexp but this could easily be replaced by
one of the jakarta flavours I think.

Anyways I think it is a great package code-wise and would be great in that
sense. If he wants to add it to jakarta and we have people here that are
willing to champion it then - sounds good to me ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete